Being An Introverted Blogger
Being a blogger and being an introvert are two things that don't really seem to go together. So why would someone introverted want (and love) being a blogger?
This is something I've thought a lot about lately. Personally, I'm a huge introvert, and I sometimes struggle with social anxiety. But a big part of being a blogger is attending events, networking, and connecting with other bloggers and brands. But for me, (and I'm sure other introverts) the thought of being thrown into a room with 50+ extremely outgoing, seemingly perfect, successful bloggers makes me so terrified I want to run out of the building.
BUT, blogging, in my opinion, is a great way for introverts to break out of thier shell a little bit. I love writing posts, curating Instagram photos, and making my website look gorgeous by graphic design and photography, and that allows me to show the world a little bit of who I am, and be creative, but still be comfortable.
Plus, it's allowed me to get to know girls that I follow just enough that when I actually meet them in person, it's SO much easier, because I feel like I've already met them before!
Personally, I still find it a very strange concept that something I'm so passionate about is essentially putting myself and my personality out there for the world to see, but in these 3+ years of blogging, I feel like it has helped me grow and overcome my fears of being seen.
If you're an introverted blogger like me, here are a few things I've learned:
- You don't have to shout to be heard - Even if you're not comfortable sharing EVERYTHING, just share what you want and it will get easier as you go
- You don't have to attend everything - If you're so nervous to attend an event that it's giving you knots, don't go! BUT, on the flip side, it's good to push yourself out of your comfort zone every now and then. Find a balance!
- Bring a friend - If you can, grab a friend to tag along to blog events, it will make you feel so much more comfortable approaching people when you have backup!
- SMILE - I can't be the only introvert who suffers from resting-bitch-face. If you suffer too, remind yourself to smile, and look friendly!
- Do what you love - whether it's the writing, graphics, photography, or maybe you just love makeup/shoes/books/whatever! Focus on whatever brings you the most joy about blogging!